The Classic Thai Galangal Soup · Tom Kha Gai
Tom Kha is a dish that once tasted is never forgotten. Galangal is a rhizome, a root similar in appearance to ginger, though with a unique taste. This dish will take a bit more effort in terms of ingredients but is well worth the extra effort.
- 300g chicken, finely chopped
- 400ml Thai Gold Organic Coconut Milk
- 2 teaspoons Thai Gold Fish Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 250ml chicken stock
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely sliced
- 5 leaves kaffir lime
- 1 clove galangal, sliced
- 10 mushrooms, halved
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1/2 fresh lime, squeezed
- Put the coconut milk in a saucepan and heat up to medium heat.
- Add the garlic, lemongrass, galangal, onion and kaffir lime leaves.
- Boil for about 4 minutes, stirring regularly
- Add the chicken, stock lime juice, sugar and fish sauce
- Cook for another 5 minutes stirring regularly
- Serve in a soup bowl.
- Serve with Thai Gold Organic Jasmine Rice
- Tip: Not hot at all, this dish is served in Thailand as a contrast to other dishes on the table.
- Variation: You can try this with seafood or tofu. Add at step 5 for a little less time in the pan.